Benefits of Membership
- Partnership. Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest NC values the dedicated efforts of partner agency staff and volunteers to provide nutritional support to children, families, seniors and others in local communities across Northwest NC, and we want to help.Together, we can provide urgently needed food assistance to our neighbors in need, as we work to end hunger through combined education, outreach and advocacy efforts.
- A wide variety of surplus food and grocery products. Our partner agencies have access to a wide variety of quality food items donated by the retail grocery industry. These donations are supplemented by staple food items provided through the federal TEFAP program (The Emergency Food Assistance Program), various grant- and donor-funded food and produce purchase programs and community food drives. Many partner programs also choose to take advantage of Triad Community Kitchen's nutrient-dense, ready-to-heat meals. If your organization provides an emergency food program (Emergency Food Pantry, Soup Kitchen, Rescue Mission, etc) you’ll also have access to staple food items made possible through State Awarded Money (SAM).
- Stewardship. By partnering with our organization, member agencies save an estimated $32 million each year. (While certain products are available at no charge to partner agencies, a shared maintenance fee (up to 19 cents per pound of product) is assessed on some items and provides modest support for Second Harvest Food Bank operational expenses.
- Capacity Building: Our food bank is committed to being more than just a resource for food to our partner agencies. Through a variety of on-going trainings, workshops, grants, an annual agency conference and other services, we seek to expand the collective capacity of our network to impact the problem of hunger and support healthy communities.
- Rural Delivery. Partner agencies located in Alamance, Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Caldwell, Caswell, Iredell, Randolph, Rockingham, Surry, Wilkes and Watauga Counties may place orders using a Rural Delivery Order Form for delivery every two weeks.