Volunteers Make All the Difference
We could not do what we do without our amazing volunteers! Together, we are feeding community!
Download a volunteer application
UPCOMING FAMILY/GROUP VOLUNTEER EVENTS
We look forward to having your family or group join us at one or more of upcoming volunteer events! For safety reasons, youth must be at least 12 years old. Pre-registration is required. Contact Tammy DeCicco, our awesome Volunteer Coordinator, for details and to register. Email Tammy or call her at 336.784-5770.
5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Below is a quick view of some of the ways volunteers support our mission throughout the year. You can download a more detailed menu here, and of course we're happy to answer any questions you may have. For more information, contact Tammy DeCicco at 336.784.5770 or Email her.
- Help inspect, sort and repackage product donations
- Inspect and repackage donated eggs (News 14, Meet the Egg Divas, Helping to Bring Nourishing Protein to Hungry Families Across Northwest NC)
- Assist our Nutrition Services team teaching hands-on workshops at our partner agencies on how to budget, shop and cook (2-hours sessions are held over six consecutive weeks in the morning, early afternoo or evening). Or...assist with cooking demonstrations heald at our partner agency sites across our 18-county service area.Kina Charles, Nutrition Services Manager, for more information, or call her at 336.784.5770.
- Help out at annual community food drives, organize a drive at your place of worship or work, or consider becoming a food drive Block Captain for your neighborhood
- Volunteer at our annual fundraisers (Empty Bowls | Tee Off Against Hunger Golf Tournament)
- Lend a helping hand at the Betty and Jim Holmes Food Bank Garden at the Crossnore school and children's home. You can learn more about this special volunteer-led initiative here...and here's a video offering a delightful view of this incredible community effort.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Tammy DeCicco is eager to hear from you to schedule your time with us. Email her or call (336) 784-5770.
- All volunteers are required to complete and application and Liability Waiver: Download and complete a volunteer application
- Warehouse Volunteer Hours: 9 .am. - 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- We can accomodate a maximum of 60 volunteers at one time in our warehouse.
- Office Volunteers Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Volunteer opportunites at the Betty and Jim Holmes Food Bank Community Garden are coordinated directly by the volunteer leaders of this special initiative. For more information, visit their website.
The following policies are in place to ensure volunteer safety in our warehouse:
- All volunteers must wear shoes with closed toes (no sandals, flip flops, etc.)
- Youth must be at least 12 years old to volunteer with Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest NC.
- Individuals 12-15 years old must be accompanied by an adult. Youth groups must have a minimum of two adults and a ratio of one adult per five youth.
- The use of headphones, ear buds, etc.
is not permitted in the distribution center.
For more information, contact Tammy DeCicco at (336) 784-5770.