Satisfy Your Appetite to Serve
Volunteers play a vital, hands-on role in the success of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest NC's mission. Whether you're on your own or part of a group, have two hours during the day a month or two hours each week, we welcome you to our humble home.
Join an active and diverse community of people committed to helping hungry families, children and seniors today, as we continue the work to end hunger in our communities.
Opportunities abound, offering something sure to appeal.
We've got weekday, evening and weekend opportunities, with some activities taking place at our distribution center in Winston-Salem and others off site, for example at the Betty and Jim Holmes Food Bank Garden located at The Children’s Home and at special events.
Click here to download and complete a volunteer application.
Menu of Opportunities:
Below is a just quick list of some of the ways volunteers can be of service. You can download a more detailed menu here, and of course we're happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Sort and repackage product
- Inspect donated eggs
- Support annual community food drives
- Support annual fundraisers
- Become a food drive block captain in your neighborhood
- Organize a food drive at your place of work or worship
- Support Nutrition Services Outreach efforts
- Help plant, weed and harvest at the Betty & Jim Holmes Food Bank Garden or other area gardens that donate to Second Harvest Food Bank of NWNC
- And more!
Special Volunteer Opportunity:
Play a critical role in the most comprehensive study of hunger in our nation. Hunger Study volunteers will assist Second Harvest Food Bank in conducting automated surveys with individuals and families at partner food pantries, shelters and soup kitchens. Download information packet.
Good things to know:
The distribution center is able to accommodate a maximum of 60 volunteers at a time. Volunteers must call in advance to be scheduled for available time slots.
The following policies are in place to ensure volunteer safety:
- All volunteers must wear shoes with closed toes (no sandals, flip flops, etc.)
- Youth must be at least 12 years old to volunteer with Second Harvest Food Bank of NWNC.
- Individuals 12-15 years old must be accompanied by an adult. Youth groups must have a minimum of two adults and a ratio of one adult per five youth.
- The use of headphones, ear buds, etc.
is not permitted in the distribution center.
Meet the Charity Chicks!
A non-profit charity dedicated to promoting and supporting the work of other charities, Charity Chicks members share two things in common: They want to make a difference and have fun doing it. They'll be supporting Second Harvest throughout the year and hope you'll join them. More about the Chicks...For more information, please contact:
Harriet Rhodes, Volunteer Manager, at (336) 784-5770 or email@example.com, or Debbie Clark, Volunteer/Project Coordinator, at (336) 784-5770 or firstname.lastname@example.org or print, complete and submit a Volunteer application and we will contact you.